Rent and Utility Assistance is Available for Okaloosa Families Impacted by COVID

This information is being provided as a guide. Please contact the County directly for additional information and to apply.

What Help is Available?

Thanks to the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act and the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2021 Okaloosa County has received over $6.3 million dollars to provide direct economic assistance for American workers, families, and small businesses. Funding is available for utility assistance and up to 12 months of past-due rent from April 2020 through December 31, 2021 as long as funds remain available. Advance funding for rent is limited to three months at a time. The application period is planned to be open from March 29th through November 15th, 2021.

Who is Eligible?

Families who have experienced financial hardship due to COVID and are at risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability. Applicants must be US citizens or legal residents. There must be a current lease in effect, and the period for which assistance is being requested must be covered by the lease. Priority will be given to households that are below 50% of the Area Median Income (AMI) or who have members who have been unemployed for the past 90 days. for the last s

How Can I Apply?

You can apply on line at If you are unable to complete the online application, call 850-460-3316 or email to learn how to submit a paper application. In addition, the County will establish times and locations to provide assistance with completing the application. Days and times of available assistance will be posted on the County’s website. An application for rental and utility assistance may be submitted by an eligible tenant, or a landlord can initiate an application on behalf of that eligible tenant.

What Information Will I Need?

The following documents must be submitted by all adult household members 18 years of age or older: 2020 Tax returns, state issued photo ID, unemployment benefits letter if applicable, letter from employer documenting reduction of hours/income, copies of utility bills. If an adult member of the household was not required to file a 2020 tax return, or the tax return does not represent the current household income additional information will be required including pay stubs, bank statements, court orders, Social Security or Disability Benefits letters, retirement statements, proof of other income and/or assets.

Landlords will need to submit proof of amounts due, W-9, lease agreement and written authorization from the tenant if applying on their behalf.

NOTE: Payments will be made directly to Landlords and/or Utility Companies